1991 Upper Buford Circle
St Paul, MN 55108
- BS, Pennsylvania State University - 1976
- MS, Pennsylvania State University - 1978
- PhD, University of California, Davis - 1983
Areas of Interest
Contaminant Hydrology and Water Quality, Crops, Environmental Chemistry, Nutrient Management
Carl Rosen served as Head of Soil, Water, and Climate for 2011 to 2023. As Department Head, he continued to supervise an active research laboratory related to nutrient management for crop production. The responsibilities of his research and extension programs include identifying needs and establishing priorities in areas of plant nutrition and improving fertilizer use efficiency for crop production in Minnesota. Primary emphasis is on irrigated crops as well as fruit and vegetable crops commercially grown in Minnesota. Efforts in recent years have also focused water quality issues related to fertilizer use and agricultural/horticultural use of municipal and industrial by-products as soil amendments.
SOIL 3416 Plant Nutrients in the Environment
- Bohman, B. J., M.J. Culshaw-Maurer, F. Ben Abdallah, C. Giletto, G. Bélanger, F.G. Fernández, Y. Miao, D.J. Mulla, and C.J. Rosen. 2023. Quantifying critical N dilution curves across G × E × M effects for potato using a partially-pooled Bayesian hierarchical method. European Journal of Agronomy, 144, p.126744.
- Swanson, E.O., J. L Carlson, L.A Perkus, J.M. Grossman, M.A. Rogers, J.E Erwin, J.L Slavin, C.J Rosen. 2022. Nutrient and nitrate composition of greenhouse-grown leafy greens: A trial comparison between conventional and organic fertility treatments. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 6: 811995.
- Crants J.E., L.L. Kinkel, J.P. Dundore-Arias, A.P. Robinson, N.C. Gudmestad, and C.J. Rosen. 2021. Potato nitrogen response and soil microbial activity as affected by fumigation. Amer. J. Potato Research, 98, pp.285-303.
- Souza, E. F., C.J. Rosen, R.T. Venterea. 2021. Co-application of DMPSA and NBPT with urea mitigates both nitrous oxide emissions and nitrate leaching during irrigated potato production. Environmental Pollution, 284, 117124.
- Ma, P.H. and C.J. Rosen. 2021. Land application of sewage sludge incinerator ash for phosphorus recovery: A review. Chemosphere, 274, p.129609.
- Bohman, B.J., C.J. Rosen, D.J. Mulla. 2021. Relating nitrogen use efficiency to nitrogen nutrition index for evaluation of agronomic and environmental outcomes in potato. Field Crops Research, 262, 108041.
- Bohman, B. J., Rosen C.J., and Mulla, D.J. 2020. Impact of variable rate nitrogen and reduced irrigation management on nitrate leaching for potato. J. Environ. Quality, 49:281-291.
- Sun, N. Y. Wang, S. K. Gupta, and C. J. Rosen. 2020. Potato tuber chemical properties in storage as affected by cultivar and nitrogen rate: Implications for acrylamide formation. Foods, 9,352.
- Souza, E,F., C. J. Rosen, R.T. Venterea. 2019. Contrasting effects of inhibitors and biostimulants on agronomic performance and reactive nitrogen losses during irrigated potato production. Field Crops Res. 240:143-153.
- Bohman, B. J., Rosen C.J., and Mulla, D.J. 2019. Evaluation of variable rate nitrogen and reduced irrigation management for potato production. Agron. J. 111: 2005-2017.
- Sawyer, A., C. Staley, J. Lamb, C. Sheaffer, T. Kaiser, J. Gutknecht, M. J. Sadowsky, and C. Rosen. 2019. Cultivar and phosphorus effects on switchgrass yield and rhizosphere microbial diversity. Appl. Microbiol. Biotech, 103: 1973–1987.
- Sun, N. Y. Wang, S. K. Gupta, and C. J. Rosen. 2019. Nitrogen fertility and cultivar effects on potato agronomic properties and acrylamide-forming potential. Agron. J. 111:408-418.
- Sawyer, A., C. Rosen,* J. Lamb, and C. Sheaffer. 2018. Nitrogen and harvest management effects on switchgrass and mixed perennial biomass production. Agron. J. 110:1260-1273.
- Rosen, C., N. Sun, N. Olsen, M. Thornton, M. Pavek, L. Knowles, and N. R. Knowles. 2018. Impact of agronomic and storage practices on acrylamide in processed potatoes. Amer. J. Pot. Res. 95:319–327.
- Sun, N., C. J. Rosen, and A. L. Thompson. 2018. Acrylamide formation in processed potatoes as affected by cultivar nitrogen fertilization and storage time. Amer. J. Pot. Res. 95: 473–486.
- Sun, N., C.J. Rosen and A.L. Thompson. 2017. Nitrogen response of French fry and chip cultivars selected for low tuber reducing sugars. Amer. J. Potato. Res. 10.1007/s12230-017-9599-8.
- Ghane, E., A. Z. Ranaivoson, G.W. Feyereisen, C.J. Rosen and J F. Moncrief. 2016. Comparison of contaminant transport in agricultural drainage water and urban stormwater runoff. PLoS One. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0167834
- Maharjan, B., C.J. Rosen, J. A. Lamb, and R. T. Venterea. 2016. Corn response to nitrogen management under fully-irrigated vs. water-stressed conditions. Agronomy Journal. https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/aj/articles/0/0/agronj2016.01.0006
- Nigon, T. J., D. J. Mulla, C. J. Rosen, Y. Cohen, V. Alchanatis, and R. Rud. 2015. Hyperspectral aerial imagery for detecting nitrogen stress in two potato cultivars. Comput. Electron. in Agric. 112:36-46
- Bierman, P.M., J.E. Crants, and C.J. Rosen. 2015. Evaluation of a quick test to assess polymer-coated urea prill damage. Agronomy Journal 107:2381-2390
- Nigon, T. J., D. J. Mulla, C. J. Rosen, Y. Cohen, V. Alchanatis, and R. Rud. 2015. Hyperspectral aerial imagery for detecting nitrogen stress in two potato cultivars. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 112:36-46
- Rosen, C.J., K.A. Kelling, J.C. Stark, and G.A. Porter. 2014. Optimizing phosphorus fertilizer management in potato production. Amer. J. Pot. Res. 91:145-160.
- Nigon, T. J., D. J. Mulla, C. J. Rosen, Y. Cohen, V. Alchanatis, and R. Rud. 2014. Evaluation of the nitrogen sufficiency index for use with high resolution, broadband aerial imagery in a commercial potato field. Prec. Ag. 15:202-226.
- Bierman, P.M., C. J. Rosen; R. T. Venterea and J. A. Lamb. 2012. Survey of nitrogen fertilizer use on corn in Minnesota. Agricultural Systems 109:43-52.
- Wilson, M.L., C.J. Rosen, and J.F. Moncrief. 2010. Effects of polymer-coated urea on nitrate leaching and nitrogen uptake by potato. J. Environ. Qual. 39:492-499.
- Kumar, K., C.J. Rosen, S.C. Gupta, and M. McNearney. 2009. Land application of sugar beet by-products: Effects on nitrogen mineralization and crop yields. J. Environ. Qual. 38:319-328.
- Wilson, M.L., C.J. Rosen, and J.F. Moncrief. 2009. Potato response to a polymer-coated urea on an irrigated, coarse-textured soil. Agron. J. 101:897-905.
- Rosen, C.J. and P.M. Bierman. 2008. Potato yield and tuber set as affected by phosphorus fertilization. Amer. J. Pot. Res. 85:110-120.
- Rosen, C.J. and D.L. Allan, 2007. Exploring the benefits of organic nutrient sources for crop production and soil quality. HortTechnology 17:422-430.
- Rosen, C.J., P.M. Bierman, A. Telias, and E.E. Hoover. 2006. Fruit- and foliar-applied strontium as a tracer for calcium transport in apple trees. HortScience 41:220-224.
- Kumar, K., C.J. Rosen, and M.P. Russelle. 2006. Enhanced protease inhibitor expression in plant residues slows nitrogen mineralization. Agron. J. 98:514-521.
- Rosen, C. J., V.A. Fritz, G.M. Gardner, S.S. Hecht, S.G. Carmella, and P.M. Kenney. 2005. Cabbage yield and glucosinolate concentrations as affected by nitrogen and sulfur fertility. HortScience 40:1493-1498.
- Zvomuya, F., C.J. Rosen, M.P. Russelle, and S.C. Gupta. 2003. Nitrate leaching and nitrogen recovery following application of polyolefin-coated urea to potato. J. Environ. Qual. 32:480-489.
- Rosen, C.J. and C.B. Tong. 2001. Yield, dry matter partitioning, and storage quality of hardneck garlic as affected by soil amendments and scape removal. HortScience 36:1235-1239.
Relevant Extension Publications
- Rosen, C.J., P. Bierman, and R. Eliason. 2008. (revised) Soil test interpretations and fertilizer management for lawns, turf, gardens, and landscape plants. AG-BU-1731-F.
- Rosen, C.J. and R. Eliason. 2009 (revised). Nutrient management for commercial fruit and vegetable crops in Minnesota. (AG-BU-5886). 30 pp.