23669 130th St.
Lamberton, MN 56152
- BS, University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point - 1993
- MS, Oregon State University - 1995
- PhD, North Carolina State University - 1999
Areas of Interest
Biogeochemistry, Contaminant Hydrology and Water Quality, Soil Physics
My research and outreach activities focus on vadose zone hydrology, agricultural drainage, and nutrient management in agricultural systems. The goal of my research program is developing practical solutions to improve agricultural drainage water management. I direct a field-based research program aimed at integrated soil, water, and nutrient management solutions for crop and livestock producers that reduces off-site nutrient mobility and improves water and nutrient use efficiency and crop yield. Effective management practice solutions are essential elements of resilient agricultural systems. Research includes analyzing and improving drainage water management practices (e.g. controlled drainage; bioreactors; managed ditches; constructed wetlands; cover crops) to reduce nitrogen and phosphorus mobility; improving nitrogen management and understanding its storage, transformation and losses; and developing new, innovative agronomic management practices to improve crop yield and water and nutrient use efficiency (e.g. nitrogen mineralization, supplemental irrigation). Our approaches are collaborative and use information and communication technology, probability forecasting, and biotechnology as tools to solve tomorrow’s problems, today.
- Bowles, T., F. Calderon, M. Cavigelli, S. Culman, W. Deen, C. Drury, A. Garcia y Garcia, A. Gaudin, S. Grandy, W.S. Harkcom, M. Lehman, S. Osborne, P. Robertson, J. Salerno, M. Schmer, Y. Socolar, J.S. Strock, M. Mooshammer. 2020. Long-term evidence shows crop rotation diversification increases agricultural resilience to adverse growing conditions in North America, One-Earth. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oneear.2020.02.007
- Feyereisen, G.W., K.A. Spokas, J.S. Strock, D.J. Mulla, A.Z. Ranaivoson, and J.A. Coulter. 2020. Nitrate removal and N2O production from up flow and down flow column woodchip bioreactors. Agric. Environ. Letters 5(1):e20024.
- Weyers, S., R. Gesch, F. Forcella, C. Eberle, H. Matthees, G. Feyereisen, J. Strock. 2020. Surface Runoff and Nutrient Dynamics in Cover Crop-Soybean Systems in the Upper Midwest. J .Environ. Qual.
- Pagliari, P.H., A.Z. Ranaivoson, and J.S. Strock. 2020. Options for statistical analysis of unreplicated paired design drainage experiments. Agric. Water Mgmt. 244:106604
- Peterson, H., M. Williams, J. Frankenberger, K. King, J. McGrath, L. Moody, M. Ribaudo, and J. Strock. 2019. Reducing the impacts of agricultural nutrients on water quality across landscapes. CAST. 64:1-20.
- Weyers, S., M. Thom, F. Forcella, C. Eberle, H. Matthews, R. Gesch, M. Ott, G. Feyereisen, G., J.S. Strock and D.L. Wyse. 2019. Reduced potential for nitrogen loss in cover crop-soybean systems in a cold climate. J. Environ. Quality. 48(3):660-669.
- Strock, J.S., C. Hay, M.J. Helmers, K.A. Nelson, G.R. Sands, R.W. Skaggs and K.R. Douglas-Mankin. 2018. Advances in Drainage: Select works from the 10th International Drainage Symposium. Trans. ASABE. 61(1): 161-168. doi:10.13031/trans.12668
- Garcia y Garcia, A. and J. Strock. 2018. Soil Water Availability and water use of crops from contrasting cropping systems. Trans. ASABE. 61(1): 75-86. doi:10.13031/trans.12118
- Rosier, M. B., G.W. Feyereisen, , K.A. Spokas, D.J. Mulla, J.S. Strock, and J. Gutknecht. 2018. Carbon dosing increases nitrate removal rates in denitrifying bioreactors at low-temperature high-flow conditions. J. Environ. Qual. 47(4): 856-864. doi: 10.2134/jeq2018.02.0082
- Daigh, A.L.M., R. Cruse, W. Dick, M. Helmers, R. Lal, J. Lauer, A. Mukherjee, E. Nafziger, C. Pederson, J. Strock, M.B. Villamil. 2017. Yields and yield stability of no-till and chisel-plow fields in the Midwestern US Corn Belt. Field Crops Res. 218: 243-253. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2017.04.002
- Johnson, J.M.F., J.S. Strock, N.W. Barbour, J.E. Tallaksen and M. Reese. 2017. Stover harvest impact on soil health properties: Three case studies from working farms in West Central MN. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 81(4): 932-944.
- Daigh, A.L.M., R. Cruse, W. Dick, M. Helmers, R. Lal, J. Lauer, A. Mukherjee, E. Nafziger, C. Pederson, J. Strock, M.B. Villamil. 2017. Yields and yield stability of no-till and chisel-plow fields in the Midwestern US Corn Belt. Field Crops Res. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2017.04.002
- Osterholz, W.R., A. Shaviv, O. Rinot, R.Linker, M. Liebman, G. Sanford, J. Strock and M.J. Castellano. 2017. Predicting gross nitrogen mineralization and potentially mineralizable nitrogen using soil organic matter properties. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 81(5): 1115-1126.
- Johnson, J.M.F., J.S. Strock, J.E. Tallaksen and M. Reese. 2016. Corn stover harvest changes soil hydrology and measures of soil aggregation. Soil Tillage Res. 161:106-115. DOI:10.1016/j.still.2016.04.004
- Messing, I., I. Wesstrom, A. Joel, and J. Strock. 2015. Influence of higher rain intensities on phosphorous movements in the upper 50 cm of macroporous heavy clay. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B - Plant Soil Science. DOI: 10.1080/09064710.2014.996588.
- Kroger. R., E.J. Dunne, J. Novak, K.W. King, E. McLellan, D.R. Smith, J. Strock, K. Boomer, M Tomer, and G.B. Noe. 2013. Downstream approaches to phosphorus management in agricultural landscapes: Regional applicability and use. Sci. Total Environ. 442:263-274.
- R.T. Venterea, A.D. Halvorson, N. Kitchen, M. Liebig, M. Cavigelli, S. Del Grosso, P.P. Motavalli, K.A. Nelson, K.A. Spokas, B.P. Singh, C.E. Stewart, A. Ranaivoson, J. Strock, and H. Collins. 2012. Technical challenges and opportunities for mitigating nitrous oxide emissions from fertilized cropping systems. Frontiers Ecol. Environ. 10:562-570.
- Joel, A., I. Wesström, J.S. Strock, I. Messing, 2012. Method for in situ measurements of water, sediment and phosphorous transport in the upper soil profile. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica 62:252-259.
- Strock, J.S., P.J.A. Kleinman, K.W. King, and J.A. Delgado. 2010. Drainage water management for water quality protection. J. Soil Water. Conserv. 65:131A-136A.
- Luo, W. G.R. Sands, M. Youssef, J.S. Strock, I. Song, and D. Canelon. 2010. Modeling the impact of alternative drainage practices in the northern corn belt with Drainmod-NII. Ag. Water Mgmt. 97:389-398.
- Oquist, KA., J.S. Strock, and D.J. Mulla. 2007. Influence of alternative and conventional farming practices on subsurface drainage and water quality. J. Environ. Qual. 36:1194-1204.
- Feyereisen, G.W., G.R. Sands, J.S. Strock, B.N. Wilson, P.M. Porter. 2007. Hydrology and nitrogen components of a simple rye growth model. J. Irrg. Drainage Eng. 133:90-99.
- Oquist, KA., J.S. Strock, and D.J. Mulla. 2006. Influence of alternative and conventional management practices on soil physical properties. Vadose Zone J. 5: 356-364.
- Thoma, D.P., S.C. Gupta, J.S. Strock, and J.F. Moncrief. 2005. Tillage and nutrient source impacts on water quality from a flat landscape. J. Environ. Qual. 34:1102-1111.
- Strock, J.S., P.M. Porter, and M.P. Russelle. 2004. Cover cropping to reduce nitrate loss through subsurface drainage in the northern Corn Belt. J. Environ. Qual. 33:1010-1016.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Soil and Water Conservation Society – 2017
- Friend of Agriculture Award, Minnesota Corn Growers Association – 2017